Saturday, January 8, 2011

Pressure Cooker Meal Adventure: Chicken Noodle Soup

Tonight's dinner adventure is Pressure Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup featuring yesterday's chicken (see post below).

Here are the steps I took to make it...

Step 1. Set pressure cooker to BROWN and brown 2 tablespoons oil with about half of a chopped onion

Step 2: Add some cut carrots.
I used the last 1/4 package of baby carrots I had left over from last night's meal. It was about 24 baby carrots.

Step 3. Add your broth. About 5 cups should do the trick

This is a photo of my chicken bones cooking in a pot of water. I saved all the bones, skins and leftover meat from the "chicken carcas" the night before. I threw them all in a pot, covered with water (about 10 cups of water). Cook on high until a rapid boil and then simmer for 1-2 hours. Then pour through a strainer. Discard chicken carcas miscelaneous and keep the yummy broth.



Step 4: Add Pasta (about half a box)

*Special Note: While taking self portrait of the famous "pouring of the pasta" I poured in TOO MUCH pasta. I actually used the whole box. Oops. To avoid my blunder, please pay attention and only add half this amount. Thank you *


Step 5: Add Chicken (about 2 cups), 1 can cream of chicken Campbells Soup and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Stir together.


Step 6: Close pressure cooker and put on 15 high PSI for 12 minutes.

The result: Chicken Noodle Soup!

Or, in my case, DOUBLE CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP!



I actually made up a second batch of chicken broth and added it into the soup. The result was pretty yummy!

Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with Crackers.


THE FEEDBACK: 7 stars out of 10!

KID FEEDBACK: 0 out of 10. "Kid-MO" did not like the "mushy" noodles. He did however really like the soup broth!

APPROXIMATE COST: $2.50
$0 - Chicken
$1 - Campbell's soup
$1 - Noodles
$.25 - Onion
$.25 - Carrots

NOTES: Be cautious of your broth to noodle ratio. I clearly put in way too many noodles and had to add broth after the fact just to even it out.

Also, I'd experiement by adding in some extra veggies such as celery and peas.

TIPS: Cook your broth in advance. You can even freeze extra broth and store it for later. One easy way to store the broth is to freeze it in ice cube trays then store the broth-cubes in freezer bags. When the time comes to use them just take out what you need.

Did I mention that we love this pressure cooker?

Up Tomorrow: Chicken Pot Pies for Lunch! (Featuring chicken from our roast chicken yesterday!!)

0 comments: