Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Sewing: Window Pane Quilt!

Are you ready to see my latest project?
How about this adorable Window Pane Quilt?  Isn't it SO cute?

I found this fantastic ETSY store called Sweet Jane.
Susan is the owner of this Etsy store. 
She offers easy to follow quilt patterns for easy enough for even beginners like me.

 Visit her Etsy store HERE and purchase a quilt pattern by March 16th -  Sue will be offering all of her patterns at a special SALE price of only $7.00!!

WOohOOhhoo!  Thanks Sue!

Just contact her through her Etsy store for the special SALE price.

Here are some photos of the quilting process... Follow along!
 The first step, whenever you have your camera out is to snap a quick photo of any kids in the area.  Here's one of KidMo.  He was more than happy to pose for a quick photo.

 
 Next... follow Sue's easy instructions and cut the strips of fabric as directed.
Here is a photo of all of my nicely cut squares of fabric... fun colors, right?


Following Sue's directions, sew your squares to the rectangles of neutral fabric.  Be sure to arrange the squares in a pattern that you like at this point in time.
  

 Quilt two rows together and so on...

 

Beware of kitties who may jump on your quilt at any point in time.  MashMo the kitty thinks this quilt is for him.
 Once all of your rows are sewn together, press flat and break out the batting.
I decided to try this batting below that is a fusible batting.  It worked really well! 

 
Find a large open area to lay your backing down flat on the floor.  This is my kitchen... yes inspiring isn't it?
 And, just in case you think I'm a total neat freak - here's a shot of my kitchen on an average day.  Hey, don't judge.  Remember, I'm a working mom of 2 who's trying to make a quilt in under a week.  Cut me a little slack. hahaha
 Okay, back to the task at hand.  Make a sandwich of the backing, batting and top layer of your quilt. 
You will then want to break out the iron and fuse the "sandwich" together.  Cut off any excess batting- leaving about a 3 inch border.
 
Here is a close up of the "sandwich"...
 Here is a photo of BabyMo swinging away in my office/craft room.  He's content for the moment so I'm able to get a little more quilting done.

 Next up, quilt the quilt in whatever style you like.  I don't have a fancy sewing machine so my 'machine quilting' skills are limited.  I went with a wavy pattern in between rows and around the edge of the quilt also.

 Here is another shot of my totally awesome beginner quilting skills (note the sarcasm).

 Okay, onto binding.

Typically I'm one to purchase my binding and attempt to sew it on in one piece. I got a bit ambitious and decided to learn a new technique using the scraps of fabric I had left.  I had to say... it was TOTALLY easy! And, it looked great.

Here is a link to the fantastic tutorial on YouTube that explains the binding technique I used.  Click HERE for part one and HERE for part two of the video.

And, here's a few shots of me sewing on the binding....



 Then fold over....

 .... And sew with a zig zag stitch on the back side of the quilt.




And...viola!  You have completed a piecework quilt!
Here is a photo of the entire quilt completed.
 
 And a few detail shots of the quilt for your admiration....

... the edging... doncha love it?

 ...again, another shot of my totally awesome (sarcastic) quilting...

... here is a shot of the corners...

 
 Another shot of the corners....
 Awe ... here's BabyMo enjoying the quilt.  Isn't he a happy baby?
 BabyMo says... "Please leave a comment for my Mommy... she loves comments!"
 And, the final step... pack that quilt up in a USPS box with some other goodies and mail it to a good friend. :)
Surprise!
 Please leave a comment below and let me know what you think about my first attempt at a piecework quilt!

Here are the sites I'll be participating in Linky Parties..

giveaways

Tip Junkie handmade projects













Transformation Thursday



Show and Tell Green



monogram



Photobucket
Fresh Poppy Design


UndertheTableandDreaming

12 comments:

TheCraftInMe

Great tutorial, baby and kitty are too cute. Awesome job on the quilt!

Sweetened by Kagi

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the lovely comment! I love this quilt and I appreciate the step by step instructions- what a lucky (and extremely cute) little baby you have there :)

P.S: I am your newest follower, I hope you will follow me too!
http://sweetenedbykagi.blogspot.com/

Chelsea

thats my quilt!!!! And i love it, slept with it alll day today :)

Beckie

Beautiful job!

Ivy Studios

DUDE!! NICE JOB! My mom will be so proud! This looks awesome - wanna make me one next!? :) LOVE IT!!!

Christine

This turned out so well! Nice work!
Christine
greatoakcircle.com

Megan

This looks really great. I'm bookmarking this because I want to try a quilt while I'm on vacation in a week.

megan
craftycpa.blogspot.com

Ladybird Ln

Wow, that turned out beautiful, great first quilt. Thanks for the comments on my blog, I am your newest follower! I can't wait to see even more fun projects! I am having my first giveaway on my blog, and would love it if you came and entered!

Carlee,
ladybirdln.blogspot.com

Quiltstory

What a nice gift! Looks great! Thanks for linking to Quiltstory!

Miranda

Well done, it looks great! My cats always jump on my quilts too- as soon as I turn my back for a second they appear and lounge all over it!

Katie

Great job on the quilt! Thank you for linking up last week at Sew Woodsy. We hope you'll join us again this week!

Karen

Awesome quilt! Love your fabric choices and I'm a fan of Sweet Jane's patterns as well! Yeah for the 1st time quilters!!!!