Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Sewing: Baby Boy Denim Rag Quilt

A few weeks ago I embarked on a baby boy quilt for a dear friend of mine.
I've known her for over 15 years. We worked together at the Mall when we were 18/19 yrs old.  She became a close friend and was even a part of my baptism back in 1996. 

We've been married, started families and have moved all around the US.
And, when I moved back to Sunny Arizona - I learned that she lived one mile away! How cool!

She and her hubby have been blessed with three adorable girls. 
They are now expecting their first BOY! And they are excited.

I decided to whip up a quick Denim Rag Quilt for the baby shower.
(I have a HUGE stash of old denim jeans that I can tap into at any time.  My whole family knows not to throw out any denim and to save them for me!)

First, cut 35 squares of Denim and 35 squares of your choice of fabric.


Then, play with the squares until you have a design that you like.

Sew together each row of fabric leaving the seams on the top side of the quilt.

 Snip the edges of the seems and then wash 1-2 times to make the edges super fuzzy and soft.
Be sure to check the lint compartment on the dryer multiple times!!
 Here is a quick shot of the backside of the quilt.
 He's MashMo the kitty enjoying the quilt prior to delivering it to the Mommy-to-be.
(why do kitties think every quilt is for them?)
I finished the quilt the morning of the baby shower! My sewing machine decided to stop working just as I was finishing up. This caused a minor heart attack but I was finally able to finish the quilt.
And now...I'm looking into a NEW sewing machine! :)

Linking up here:
Yesterday on Tuesday
Somewhat Simple 
Fingerprints on the Fridge 

2 comments:

Christine @ sugarandtrash.com

Your quilt is so adorable! I so love working with old denim....thanks for the tute.

Lisa

This is absolutely gorgeous! I love this idea! I also think it's so cool that you've staying contact with an old friend for so long!