Friday, July 1, 2011

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cupcakes



Today we are giving a HUGE (chocolatey) shout out to

I recently saw her blog post for Peanut Butter - Chocolate Twist Cupcakes and fell in love.
I knew I had to make them immediately.

Here is a photo of her perfect creation
(not to be confused with my attempt above)

Sail Away Graduation Party
Isn't her cupcake just beautiful?

Mine may not look perfect, but boy did they taste good!
Let's go through the steps of making these awesome treats.

First, go HERE to view the recipe, I will also paste it below.  Home Based Mom was kind enough to make a printable for her recipe, so be sure to go on over to her website to get that and give her some comment love.

1/2 C butter (room temperature)
3 eggs (room temperature)
2 1/2 C flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 C creamy peanut butter
1 C packed brown sugar
3/4 C granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 C milk
4 oz. milk chocolate, melted
1 recipe Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
1 recipe Chocolate Frosting

1.  Mix together flour, baking powder and salt in one bowl.  Set aside.
2.  Preheat oven to 375.  In a large bowl (or your favorite Kitchen Aid) beat butter for about 30 seconds and then add peanut butter and combine.


3. Add in brown sugar and white sugar, about a 1/4 cup at a time.  Beat at a medium speed until combined and mixed together (remember to scrape the sides along the way).
(Don't worry about the "interesting" texture here, keep on pressing forward!)
4. Add in eggs, beating well after each one.  Add vanilla.


5: Add in flour and milk alternating. Mix on low speed after each addition.
(Melt chocolate in microwave)



 6. Pour half of the batter in another bowl and add melted chocolate.


(note- my chocolate batter turned out a little thick, watch the ratio of chocolate to batter)

7.  Fill lined muffin cups half with peanut butter batter and half chocolate batter. Fill about 2/3 full. Use knife to swirl the batter in each cup.
(note - I chose not to swirl my batter but rather left them stacked)

8.  Bake for about 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Make sure to let the cupcakes cool entirely before frosting.
( I like the swirled / stacked look of the two flavors!)

9. While cupcakes are cooling, start mixing up your frosting.
Head on over to Your Homebased Mom for all her frosting tips!  Follow her recipes below, I've honestly never had yummier frosting - ever!

Peanut Butter Frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/2 C creamy peanut butter
2 tsp vanilla
6 C powdered sugar.
2-4 tsp of milk until desired consistency
Beat cream cheese, peanut butter  and vanilla until light and fluffy.  Gradually add in powdered sugar.  Add milk, 1 tsp at a time until desired consistency.  Divide into two portions.  Set aside one for the Chocolate Frosting.
Chocolate Frosting:
1/2 of peanut butter frosting
1/2 C cocoa (or more to desired taste)
Beat until well combined.
Fill decorating bags with each frosting.  Put both bags into one large bag and add desired tip.  Pipe onto cupcakes.

See how mine turned out....

*Note:  The double piping technique worked for me on exactly three cupcakes before the icing exploded out of the bag.  Awesome right?

And, when I say explode, I mean EXPLODE!
All the frosting exited the bag! I had just enough left in the bags to make one circle of frosting, in one flavor, on top of each cupcake.

I decided to just ice the rest with the peanut butter chocolate frosting and they turned out fabulous!

So, what do you think?  Please leave me a comment below with your thoughts.



7 comments:

MoonChylde

YUM YUM YUM!!! New follower from Friendly Friday :)
www.themoonchyldechronicles.blogspot.com

Heavenly Savings

I love your blog name and the Temple in the header! Very creative! Happy Saturday!! I would love for you to stop by and check out my blog as well! If you like it you can follow back! Thanks! Hope to blog with you again soon!

http://heavenlysavings.net

Leigh Anne Wilkes

So glad you enjoyed the cupcakes and yours look lovely!

Unknown

Oh, those look very good! I love chocolate and peanut butter mixed up. I am one of your newest followers thru GFC and while I was here I also followed on Facebook. I know it is a crazy weekend, so just when you have a moment I would love a follow back on both of these also. Have a very Happy 4th of July!!

Mary@http://mmbearcupoftea.com

Unknown

I don't use the bags but the plasic pipers. I want cupcakes now...Yum
Loving your blog and even more than you are LDS. Love it all. Keep on the good work!
I would love some follow back love.
XO
Frenchy
http://lechateaudesfleurs.blogspot.com/

Sticks and Stones

YUM! These look fabulous. I must bake them as soon as my AC is fixed! :) Just an idea, if you don't like the swirl frosting idea, you could spread a layer of chocolate frosting then pipe the PB frosting in a swirl on top. (Or vice versa.)I think yours look great though!

Katie

Thank you for linking up to Sew Woodsy last week. I had to remove the link because its food related and we are a craft only link party. Please link up any of your crafts you may have worked on recently, tomorrow! :)